TUESDAY, AUGUST 7, 2012
15.00-18.00: Visiting local libraries
- The bus leaves from the Scandic Patria Hotel at 15.00. First stop is at Lappeenranta Academic Library from which we move on to Taipalsaari public library built in 2009. Taipalsaari is located nearby Lappeenranta in the beautiful lake Saimaa area. From Taipalsaari we return to the Scandic Patria Hotel where we should be at 18.00.
- The trip is included in the registration fee.
19.00-20.00: Opening ceremony at the Old Town Hall (located in Raastuvankatu 7 which is just a few minutes’ walk away from the Scandic Patria hotel)
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 8, 2012
Conference day programme at Lappeenranta City Hall
(located in Villimiehenkatu 1)
8.00-9.00 Conference check-in in the city hall lobby
- Susanna Parikka (Finland): Library cooperation between four countries in the north, in Barents Euro-Arctic region
- Hildur Eikås (Norway): Cross border cooperation between border libraries in North Russia and North Norway
- Kristina Virtanen (Finland): An exciting adventure – library development between the Nordic countries and the Kaliningrad region of Russia
12.00-13.00 Lunch (included in the registration fee)
13.00-14.30 Session II
- Sandra Kendall (Canada): Strengthening medical library services in Ethiopia – An international collaboration
- Liv Karin Stensby (Norway): Prison library project in Georgia
- Ekaterina U. Genieva (Russia): Library builds bridges – All Russia state library for foreign literature
14.30-15.00 Coffee (included in the registration fee)
15.00-16.30 Session III
- Ritva Hyttinen ( Finland): Diversity Imperative! A heterogenous profession hears more
- Karen E. Downing, Camilla A.Alire & Janice D. Welburn (USA): Fried Scorpions and Burger King – Revelations of Professional cross cultural exchange
- Michael Miller, Constantia Constantinou & Kenneth Schlesinger (USA): Advancing global and cultural understanding through innovative library practice – three Fulbright experiences
16.30 -16.45 Loriene Roy (USA): Libraries and their place at a Global Summit on Love and Forgiveness
19.00-22.00: Dinner at restaurant Kasino (not included in the registration fee)
- Confirmation about attendance at the dinner is collected beforehand via e-mail. Dinner costs 40 EUR per person and must be paid in cash when checking in at the conference (on Wednesday morning).
THURSDAY, AUGUST 9, 2012
Excursion to Vyborg, Russia (not included in the registration fee)
- 7.15 Meeting at Lappeenranta Passenger Harbour
- 7.45 Departure from Lappeenranta
- 14.15 Arrival in Vyborg
- 17.15 Departure from Vyborg
- 21.45 Arrival in Lappeenranta
All times are local. Russian time is one hour ahead of Finnish time. Check-in starts 30 minutes before departure.
Tour is made both ways by m/s Carelia. For this 1-day tour you don’t need a Russian visa. Citizens of all countries are welcome to take part in this visa-free tour.
In Vyborg there will be a guided sightseeing tour by bus and a visit to Aalto Library hosted by the library director Elena Rogozina.
For more information about the cruise (price, booking), please see the registration page.